Solid Waste Management Plan
The Comox Strathcona Waste Management (CSWM) service and programs are supported by the Regional Solid Waste Management Plan (SWMP) which is mandated by the British Columbia Ministry of Environment & Climate Control Strategy (MoE) Environmental Management Act. The (SWMP) guides how the region will manage its garbage now and into the future.
The plan was updated in 2012 and received approval from the MoE on May 23, 2013. The MoE recommends that regional districts update their SWMP every 10 years, to ensure the document changes and grows with the needs of the community.
An effectiveness review was completed in 2018 which finds that implementation of the 2012 SWMP has made excellent progress and that the plan continues to be implemented with a focus on:
- Closure of CSWM landfills in compliance with MoE requirements;
- Increased diversion of organic waste;
- Continued optimization and development of recycling programs to achieve 70 per cent diversion or greater;
- Investigation of increased environmental controls;
- Further monitoring of Waste to Energy technologies as per the April 12, 2018 Waste to Energy business case assessment staff report.