The landfill at the Campbell River Waste Management Centre is scheduled to close in 2022
The landfill located at the Campbell River Waste Management Centre (CRWMC) currently serves as the primary municipal solid waste disposal site for approximately 43,000 people located in Campbell River and the surrounding communities. The landfill is nearing capacity, after which the site will continue to operate as a solid waste transfer station. The transfer station will act as a waste collection point for the Campbell River region, with collected waste to be transported to the Comox Valley Waste Management Centre located in Cumberland BC, approximately 65 km south.
The landfill at CRWMC is forecast to reach its airspace capacity in spring 2022, after which the final closure will take place. The landfill currently operates under the operational certificate MR-02401 which was last amended in May 2020 by the MoE. This amendment laid out additional requirements for the operation and closure of the facility.
The Comox Strathcona Waste Management (CSWM) service received the proposed Closure and Upgrading Plan (Closure Plan) for the landfill in August 2020. The Closure Plan, which was prepared by GHD Limited, provides a plan for final closure of the landfill, and estimates preliminary costs, as well as post-closure management requirements of the landfill. The Closure Plan includes:
- Conceptual design of the final cover system including surface water conveyance infrastructure.
- Conceptual design of the landfill gas collection and conveyance system.
- Plan for environmental monitoring programs, including the monitoring of groundwater, surface water, landfill gas and leachate quality.
- Description of the leachate management plan and forecasted leachate quantities.
- Landfill criteria conformance review.
- August 2020 - CRWMC Landfill Draft Closure and Upgrading Plan
- September 1, 2020 Staff Report - CRWMC Landfill Upgrading and Closure Plan
- 2017 CRWMC Landfill Design, Operations, and Closure Plan
- 2022 Operations and Monitoring Report
- 2021 Operations and Monitoring Report
- 2020 Operations and Monitoring Report
- 2019 Operations and Monitoring Report
- 2018 Operations and Monitoring Report